August 12, 2019 | by Jackie Zions and Gayle Ecker, Equine Guelph, University of Guelph
Ask 4 horse people a question and you will get 5 different answers – in this age of information separating myths from science is an important endeavour for every horse care taker.
Equine Guelph at the University of Guelph is honoured to be a host sponsor of the 15th International Equitation Science Conference! Established over 15 years ago, Equine Guelph is the horse owner’s Centre at the University of Guelph, supported and overseen by equine industry groups, and dedicated to improving the health and well-being of horses through education, research and healthcare.
“Education backed by scientific research is integral to all our course offerings,” says director Gayle Ecker. “We are thrilled to be one of the organizing sponsors for this very important international event.”
The International Equitation Science conference aligns with our mission of helping horses for life by highlighting research that stands to improve horse welfare using evidence-based approaches.
Funding Industry Research: Equine Guelph is the epicentre where academia, industry and government meet – a place where everyone sits around one table and decides on which research will help horses the most:
● Over 100 research projects have received funding from Equine Guelph.
● Research projects led by top UofG researchers will open doors to discoveries that will help horses in the areas of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of life-altering diseases and injuries.
● Samples of groundbreaking research projects: stopping the spread of infectious diseases, developing diagnostic and healing tools for injuries, curing horses with heart problems, helping horses breathe easier, assisting mares battling early pregnancy loss, advancing stem cell research, studying the equine gut biome, assessing different racetrack surfaces and battling drug resistance to dewormers.
Equine Guelph has been bringing ‘science to the stable’ through our education programs and communications outreach.
Educating Horse people: Equine Guelph, University of Guelph, offers horse owners and caretakers award-winning education programs that focus on lifelong learning:
● Starting with EquiMania!, the travelling, interactive youth exhibit at shows and fairs supporting health, welfare and safety
● TheHorsePortal short courses that arm horse owners with practical information for the well-being of their horse
● Equine Science Certificate – online courses to improve the management and welfare of horses in the industry
● Equine Business Management Certificate – online courses for anyone interested in working in the business side of the industry
● Equine Welfare Certificate – for those who wish to examine the science behind what is required to support sound management, policy development and welfare practices for horses in Canada and around the globe.
● Diploma in Equine Studies – comprehensive online course of study for those interested in a career in the equine industry
● Workshops –hands-on sessions on a variety of topics (i.e. anatomy, first aid, large animal emergency rescue) Equine Guelph will be offering a shortened version of their Large Animal Rescue Training at the beginning of the conference Sunday August 18th. To register, contact ISES2019@uoguelph.ca.
To learn more about our offerings, or to joining our monthly E-news communications go to EquineGuelph.ca
Registration is still open for the 15th annual ISES conference. For all the details and links to registration and accommodations, visit the Equitation Science website or the Horse Portal.
ISES 2019 Sponsors
Maple Leaf Sponsor